Camera settings keep disappearing

Derwan

Camera settings keep disappearing

Post by Derwan »

Hi. I've had an issue for the past few weeks where the camera details disappear. This seems to happen when launching Blackvue Downloader. In the start-up, there is an error message after "Settings Found & Loaded", which reads "Caught Exception upgrading Data:Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click on "Camera Details", I just get a white screen.

I can get it to work again by re-adding the camera details, but then it fails again next time I launch the app.

I have upgraded to Windows 11 if that might be causing issues? I think I upgraded a week or two before this issue started though. Around the time this issue started, I also installed/updated Google Drive, but I don't have anything to do with Blackvue Downloader stored in a location synced with Google Drive. The other Windows updates that occured around this time were the standard ones, including .NET updates. I can't think of any other major software changes around that time.

I have attached my logs in case they are of assistance.
Attachments
BlackvueDownloader.log.zip
(301.72 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Derwan

Re: Camera settings keep disappearing

Post by Derwan »

Further to this, I've just checked the settings.json file. It was empty and had a date modified back when this issue started - even though I'd re-added the camera a couple of times. I renamed the file and Blackvue Downloader re-created it when launched. I added the camera details again and the data is now in the settings file. I closed and reopened the app. So far, so good. I'll report if the settings disappear again.
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Thanks for the details/log

Interesting.

Seems to have lost settings or access to settings. May be something up with the application installation. We have seen this before with Windows updates/changes; and that may be at play here.

Probably would try uninstalled/deleting app from computer and reinstalling completely from store. May fix - and please let me know.

Remember to - from the ? Options screen can backup and restore settings. Would pay to make a backup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Just seen your reply - that’s good. Seems like somehow the settings file got destroyed and that was causing this issue. May see if can protect that moving forward.

Don’t forget - about the backup/restore settings. Occasionally windows updates do something similar (well one did once - but maybe again, who knows) so pays to have a backup somewhere. Setting up cameras is a bit of pain…

Glenn

Derwan

Post by Derwan »

Just an FYI - had the same thing happen again during the recent Windows 11 update. (The one that finally adds the time and date to screens other than the primary screen.) Fortunately I took your advice and made sure I backed up the camera settings.

I'm guessing this would be pretty hard to troubleshoot!
DFWSpartan

Post by DFWSpartan »

Thankfully my camera config is quite easy. My settings are removed/deleted after reboot as well.
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

I would guess that having settings disappear once following a massive windows update, is different to them not saving at all.

I would presume in your case - it will be user permissions setting, or a wider group policy causing the issue.

Glenn