MS Store runaround

Ralph

MS Store runaround

Post by Ralph »

Troubles with installing from the MS store. I get hung up on the "Install/Open" That forces me to open the MS store.. Which goes back to the "You own this App " "Install/Open". If.. I click on the (...) next to the "Install/Open" button I get "Install on my devices" which brings me to:

Pick where you want to install
It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account.
Get more info on your device list

And that, brings me to my MS Account page where my device is listed. (except that Find my device is turned off) Trying to turn it on (if that is necessary) fails with a "We can't reach your device right now. Please try back later."

Any thoughts or suggestions??
Glenn
Site Admin

Re: MS Store runaround

Post by Glenn »

Hi

Certainly sounds annoying!

Not sure I can be much help, have had my windows store issues.

The app does need to be installed from Microsoft Windows Store - which appears is the source of problems.

I would check the store error message you are getting with Microsoft help/store forums and see what you come up with.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Finally managed to get it to install. There were some updates required from MS that showed up yesterday (or this morning) and when I tried to install your app yet again it worked. From the Google it seems that my licences were not synced.. never could find where or how to do that though. But years ago my first account with MS was for an xBox and I wonder if that was part of the problem.

The initial "Install" button did nothing.. just as before. And clicking on the (...) to the right of the box I had the same options.. To install to my devices. And.. to my surprise my laptop showed.. selecting it and it installed.. BUT not before getting a message to the effect that my xBox needed sufficient storage space. I thought I was screwed again.. but when I closed all the windows.. I was left with your app installation process.. Now to connect to my dashcam.

Thanks for your time
gregg

Post by gregg »

Trying the trial version. After installing it on my Desktop and not be able to get it to work.
I tried installing it onto my DELL WIN10 laptop and I get the following nonsense response from the WIN10 store.
Installing on your devices
To download to your Xbox, it must be on or set to Instant-on, with automatic updates and purchases on, and have enough space.

Any known solutions to this problem.
TonyBerry

Post by TonyBerry »

Gee, this sounds familiar... except for the part where it just started working.

I get the same error about logging in from the device I want to install on... which is exactly what I'm doing. Isn't there a way to actually download the product I just paid for (and might be requesting a return of) as an offline installer? When I put this product into actual use, the mini PC I'll be using won't have the ability to be connected to the Internet. I need to ability to download the installer, put it on a USB drive and bring it home with me to install on the garage PC. Simple enough. I paid the money, I want to product.

Thanks.
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

TonyBerry wrote:Gee, this sounds familiar... except for the part where it just started working.

I get the same error about logging in from the device I want to install on... which is exactly what I'm doing. Isn't there a way to actually download the product I just paid for (and might be requesting a return of) as an offline installer? When I put this product into actual use, the mini PC I'll be using won't have the ability to be connected to the Internet. I need to ability to download the installer, put it on a USB drive and bring it home with me to install on the garage PC. Simple enough. I paid the money, I want to product.

Thanks.
Essentially what you are asking isn’t the ‘windows store way’

Basically what you are after is a app that can be installed anywhere, anytime, multiple times without any particularly checks. Whilst I understand the request, having some form of internet connection is somewhat the basic nature of the Windows store.

I suppose the other question is:
Why can’t I download a paid version and use it anywhere?
The answer should be fairly self-explanatory. Because you and your 100 friends, and the 000 more on internet could then use it anywhere.

The other question reasonably might be
- Why do I need regular store checks?
Large part of this requirement is the fact a trial version exists.
Currently BVD checks the store every 43200 seconds or there-abouts for an update license and whether currently trial version or not.

If you are keen to block it’s internet access (security obviously). I may be able to change it’s check for license via store on startup only. But even that may not be possible as the store checks are pretty blunt; ‘check store’ and what it then does is somewhat up to Windows. It just returns some data.

Personally, the store checks for dodgy software extremely thoroughly, or at least it should given it normally takes 5 days of checks to be done. If this was outside store software installed via a MSI file you would be open to whole host of risks. That was the alternative when I started - but safety of store checked software and ease to me seemed a better message. Particularly for software like this that runs all the time.

So this may not be ideal for your usage, the alternative would be a no trial version, non-windows store install file that could have who-knows-what running within it.

I understand Store doesn’t suit everyone, but these were the compromises I decided on when heading in the Store direction.

Glenn

TonyBerry

Post by TonyBerry »

I should have understood all this before paying. I guess I just made a donation to your cause. Living in a rural area with no Internet has some significant drawbacks.

Is there an older version that is likely full of bugs, but doesn't require Internet access?

Thanks for replying, even though it isn't what I wanted to hear.
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

TonyBerry wrote:I should have understood all this before paying. I guess I just made a donation to your cause. Living in a rural area with no Internet has some significant drawbacks.

Is there an older version that is likely full of bugs, but doesn't require Internet access?

Thanks for replying, even though it isn't what I wanted to hear.
Hi
Sent you a PM —happy to consider options.
Email me - if you haven’t got it me at gizmocoding.com

Thanks

Glenn