Downloader app not displaying properly [Solved]

Peterpan783

Downloader app not displaying properly [Solved]

Post by Peterpan783 »

I have recently installed the app and considering purchasing.
I can't get it to display correctly.

Some buttons don't show up properly and there are no ways to resize the window, no scroll bars on the side.
This happens on a netbook at 1366x768.
This happens on a laptop at 1920x1080.

Any ideas? I see screenshots of same app and they don't seem to have this problem.

Downloaded latest version from the Microsoft store.

I have attached a picture showing what it looks like. The white space surrounding the app window is a maximized notepad window at the back, so this is not an insufficient resolution problem.

It would be nice to be able to open multiple instances of this app. I have now two cameras, each of those with their own network. It is very impractical to constantly switch networks to download from both cameras at the same time. That is solved with two wifi cards, which is feasible, but that still leaves the issue of having only one app instance open at any given time.

It would also be great to be able to filter by time frames (from time x to time y) and by specific cameras (front vs rear). As it is, our only choice is to download a mass amount of files unnecessarily and then delete all the ones we don't need, which is very wasteful.

Thank you.
blackvue downloader issues.jpg
blackvue downloader issues.jpg (332.38 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Glenn
Site Admin

Downloader app not displaying properly

Post by Glenn »

Hi

The sizing issues will be down to the trial version being enabled. Thanks for pointing this out, I obviously altered moved something that had a cascade of impact. The trial version adds a few buttons which in your case (presumably DPI settings) has thrown out the window sizes. I hardly ever see the trial window/data so often miss testing this aspects, and don’t unless I alter something. I’ll have a fix for next version as I agree isn’t a great look, and should be able to sort out pretty quickly.

But can say that Full version does not have this problem.

Regarding Questions:

Running Multiple versions would open up a bigger range of issues with having multiple versions running. Really easy to accidentally do and then a whole lot of clashes from file locks, to download time, wifi speed etc.

Why is it impractical to run 2 networks with the one app - eg. 2 cameras both in different ranges - 192.168.1.2 and one 10.0.0.12, with both responding to different wifi networks? I haven’t tested this but see no reason why wouldn’t work. Alternative is a wifi access point for each camera within the same IP address. That would maximise speed, and that has been tested.

Filter/Day-download.
Exists. Part of the cut off aspect down the bottom - can select date time window for the selected camera and will first download all files from this window before returning to usual duties.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peterpan783

Re: Downloader app not displaying properly

Post by Peterpan783 »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

"Why is it impractical to run 2 networks with the one app - eg. 2 cameras both in different ranges - 192.168.1.2 and one 10.0.0.12, with both responding to different wifi networks?"

I don't really know how this app has been written inside, so not all apps could handle downloading stuff from two separate networks at the same time. There could be a lot of mess there.

" I haven’t tested this but see no reason why wouldn’t work."
I guess I'll have to do the research myself and get back to you on that.

"Filter/Day-download.
Exists. Part of the cut off aspect down the bottom"

Great to know, but as I haven't seen it... yet.
;)

For the time being I'm connecting to the camera's AP directly. For some reason the 900X Plus is not seeing any 5GHz networks in client mode, which totally defeats the purpose.

I'm currently restricted to hotspot configurations in the 2.4GHz band ONLY. This is not the way this camera is supposed to work.

Cheers!
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Hi

The app should handle 2->unlimited networks, IP ranges without problem. Each camera, download task etc. essentially runs its own stand alone thread.

I would guess that the better setup option would still be a AP access point for each camera to the same network, for maximum speed/compatibility.

Having a PC—> Camera wifi connection somewhat defeats the purpose of having sitting in background always downloading which is the main aim of the app. But each to his own!

Regarding the wifi connection. There are some width band issues with some 5 gig not being compatible if too wide networks. I think there are some limited details on the app’s webpage FAQ setting. Or may be a few threads in this forum.

Glenn

Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Hi

Having a look at this now... unfortunately don't think its solely the Trial layout being a bit off.

Seems to be related to 900X Plus Camera and its settings file. Likely some other aspects on your system playing a role as well I suspect.

Have worked around a few aspects and will upload new version 4.9.4 to the store within an hour or so. (may or may take a few days to get there though...)
Also adds images for the DR900X Plus Camera which was missing.

New version hopefully fixing this is in the store now (last couple have been processed really quickly). Please update and let me know.

If still issues then would really need a debug log of a successful camera connection? If possible email (details in website), or PM to me.

http://www.gizmocoding.com

Glenn
pei006

Post by pei006 »

Hi Glenn
I have a 900X Plus too and was having the same issue. 4.9.4 has solved the display issue.

The max speed is showing in miles/h, my camera is set to km/h . Am I missing a setting or is this another 900 plus peculiarity?
Thank You
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Good to hear.

The issue was a big strange - seems like the 900X Plus changes the config data to not including a line return. Presumably using something else I would guess.

The miles/hr or km/hr - BVD uses the settings from the Windows computer. There is a specific localisation settings where you can set miles/hr or km/hr.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... e9e8a54989

Glenn

pei006

Post by pei006 »

Glenn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:33 am G
The miles/hr or km/hr - BVD uses the settings from the Windows computer. There is a specific localisation settings where you can set miles/hr or km/hr.
measurements were set to "US". Changed to metric and all is good.
Thank You
G
Glenn
Site Admin

Post by Glenn »

Good to hear - reminded me of this!

Peterpan783

Re: Downloader app not displaying properly [Solved]

Post by Peterpan783 »

Hi,

Back to the topic... Now I have two 900X cams, covering front, inside and rear.

They both connect to a wireless AC 866Mbits outdoors AP, since the signal from inside the house was too weak and the transfer speeds were useless (in order of kilobytes per second).

Now some numbers. Since the cams are hardware restricted to 1 channel AC their max theoretical speed is 433Mbits. That is 216Mbits (27MB/s) UP and 216Mbits (27MB/s) DOWN for a single wireless device connected. If we got two, let's halve that amount. In practice, it gets much worse!

A single cam usually downloads around 19~22MB/s. Fluctuations are normal in WiFi connections and there will always be losses.

As soon as both cams connect to the AP, they start competing for bandwidth with each other. Speeds drop down to around 6MB/s for Cam1 and 2MB/s for Cam2.
Downloading footage from both cameras takes about 7h or more. Sometimes the Blackvue battery just dies before the transfer gets to complete.

Here are some numbers for comparison, estimating transfer times with single cams copying in sequence at max speeds and dual cams connected to the AP and transferring simultaneously.

Card capacity (GB) Time (h) Time (h)
MBs (single cam) (dual cam)
Card1 256 262144 3.83 12.14
Card2 256 262144 3.83 36.41

Total (h) 7.67 48.55

Sequential Parallel

As you can see, parallel transfers extend the actual transfer times seven times longer than sequential. This is a natural result of both devices constantly competing for bandwidth, and the AP having to constantly switch between one device to the other to manage the transfers. Switching from one device to the other also drains the batteries way faster.

It would be very convenient to have the option within the app to configure the file transfers to take place SEQUENTIALLY, instead of simultaneously.
This is my feature request. It shouldn't be too hard to implement.
:)